Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Keeping warm in chilly Paris

Today was one of the days I was most excited for, we had a photo session around Paris with a lovely French photographer.  We had the best 3 hours with her as she took us to some of the most beautiful hidden gems in the city.  It was a cold and dreary day but she assured us that not only were we getting to experience true Paris weather but also the lighting from the overcast sky was creating beautiful photos.  The plus side to being in a short and sleeveless cocktail dress for 3 hours in the cold weather... cuddling up to my love the whole time during our romantic photo shoot.  And of course, the beautiful scenery was a great distraction too.  Audrey, our photographer said it would take about 6 weeks to get our photos emailed to us.  How very European to edit them at a snails pace while our American photographer guarantees our photos to be up on her website within 24 hours.  But, I have a feeling these photos will be well worth the wait!  It will be like Christmas morning when I do get that email.  

This is the little street our photo shoot ended at, I could have sat here all day in one of the cafe's outdoor chairs ingraining this image into my brain. It was that enchanting.  



After our photo shoot, despite being cold to the bone, we decided to walk around a bit and enjoy the neighborhood we were in.  I finally asked Preston to check the time and he saw that it was 8:30 p.m.!  We are clearly not used to the sun setting so late and easily got caught up in the beauty of our surroundings.  So that explains why all the cute little shops were already closed.  So it was then a mad dash to get to our 9:00 dinner reservation across town.  


Tonight we had dinner at Helene Darroze's restaurant who is one of only a few women to hold 2 Michelin stars. The ambiance was fabulous with deep purple, velvet wall coverings and plush hot pink chairs.  We had the four course chef's tasting menu and every bite was incredible.  Well, I should admit that I didn't have every bite.   Preston tells me that his and my sweetbreads were to die for.  I'll just have to take his word on that.  The presentation of each dish was incredible.  The first course was prosciutto with homemade focaccia and the prosciutto was sliced paper thin, table side.  I wanted to take a picture of each course but didn't feel it was appropriate.  You can see from below that by the time the dessert course began the champagne and wine had settled in and I had forgotten all about my earlier qualms with photographing the food.